Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Life lessons

Woots yet another sem down!

It's a well deserved one month break ahead for us i guess :)

This sem's been a tough one. Not quite academically. Ok correction, academics was tough. But it was a test of my patience, resilience, independence etc too. Let me explain.

Decision-making (and how to ward off unhealthy competition)
Well whether or not we liked it, SEP applications opened this sem so we had to do what we dreaded most. Like writing our personal statements,  deciding our schools (sharing freely about our choices to those we trusted and tactfully declining to tell those that did not trust us enough to tell us their choices). Mutual thing I guess. Anw, let's hope for the best.

Resilience, Independence, Prioritizing
Unexpected event that left me pretty helpless. The sadness still hits us sometimes. But i guess it's time to move on (only time will heal). Parents were not in Sgp in that craziest week. Physically and mentally drained (but had to make sure I didn't fall sick/ neglect school work, SEP apps, Term paper). 

Patience and more patience
PGP office was really testing my patience when my transponder failed to work and they were pretty inefficient. Could say I was close to strangling chickens then. Glad I don't have to deal with them anymore. And hopefully never again.

Stress/Nervousness-management
2 viva (oral test with a mse examiner for 2 hours on what we did/learnt from labs this sem), and 2 interviews (internship/ sep). 

Being less-technology reliant
Well my laptop spoiled (clap clap, one year old only). I must say fujitsu was really a disappointment this time. Their tablet pc lasted me 6 years though. IT care/ Fujitsu had better repair it soon! Stop saying there is no problem! 

Letting the body re-charge
So yeah, yet another person i know in uni (engin faculty to be specific), has fallen into the whirlpool of immense stress and competition. It's a good thing he recognized the problem and is currently seeking psychiatric assistance. But yeah, i guess i was close to/ actually did feel burnt out. Especially the week before recess week (after all that chionging for viva/ pgp issues/ internship stuff). I just couldn't study. Couldn't at all. Not that I didn't want to. I opened my notes, sat in front of them and read. But nothing went in. They were just a pool of words with no meaning. I freaked out and called zy who told me to go rest early and see how the next day. I took his advice (with much hesitance and uncertaintity) but it worked out fine! The next day i could study better. Guess it was just my body telling me "Battery low!!".

Anw, no wonder ppl say uni is more than just academics. You pick up important life skills. Yep, as much as it was damnnn draining, i'm proud to say i survived the sem and am now gonna prep for christmas and just have LOADS OF FUN this hols!! :D

No comments: